>

Agliè

 
Agliè (Ajé in Piemontese dialect) is an italian town of 2,674 inhabitants in the province of Turin in Piemonte.
 
This small town, made famous by the likes of Filippo d’Aglie and Guido Gozzano, is located in the Canavese.
 
The city is located on the site of Alladium, an ancient Roman city.
 
The original nucleus was most probably located on the hills of the village Madonna delle Grazie, already mentioned in documents dating back to 1019. At that time Agliè was a castle built to defend Macugnano. The name of Agliè appears for the first time in documents from 1141: the feudal lords of Canavese divided the territory, and the country became one of the possessions of St. Martin of Rivarolo and Aglie. In 1386 in the area adjacent to the town broke out a violent rebellion of peasants and peasants toward the notables, which was crushed in blood by Amedeo VII of Savoy, also called Conte Rosso. Perhaps because of its good governance Aglie took no part in this rebellion that was remembered as the Tuchinaggio.
 

 
Il castello ducale di Agliè
 
« Poi che il Romano Uccello lo stendardo

latino impose su l’itale terre,

surgesti minaccioso baluardo. »

(Guido Gozzano, il Castello di Agliè, vv 1-3)

 

The ducal castle of Agliè is an elegant and impressive building located in the municipality of Agliè , in the province of Turin.
 
The construction of the central core , which are still identifiable traces , started in the twelfth century for the noble family of San Martin , originating in Canavese.
 
In 1939 the State acquired from the Royal House that the castle was used as a museum . In the eighties, it was the subject of a further delicate restoration . It is currently undergoing a major renovation and static consolidation work that prevented the visit to most of the rooms.

 

It is part of the circuit of the castles of the Canavese and, since 1997, is part of the UNESCO site Savoy Residences.